The Aftermath


I expected the Republicans to take the House.
No surprise there.

I expected Nancy Pelosi to be de-throwned.
It's about damn time, frankly.

I expected there to be much rending of garments and gnashing of teeth on November third.
And I've not been disappointed - Walmart is fresh out of sack cloth and ashes this morning.

What I did NOT expect was that San Francisco would beat Texas** in the World Series.

(I KNOW the World Series is a misnomer, since we don't play anyone outside the US - it should be called the American Series, but there's nothing I can do about that).

This isn't about Barak Obama or George W. Bush...although I did imagine Bush choking on a whole handful of pretzels when SF clinched it.

This is about San Francisco - known widely as the gay-friendliest city in America beating Texas, where everything is bigger, badder and where sodomy was still illegal in the first years of the 21st Century.

This is about Chardonnay beating Budweiser (I drink both).
Sushi beating barbeque (I eat both).
Priuses (Prii?) beating F350s (I drive neither).

Tolerance beating intolerance.

So take the House. Hell, take the Senate while you're at it - will it really matter for the next two years?

THIS is the win that's inspiring.


** The great city of Austin (where I've eaten some of the best sushi of my life) and Travis County are excluded from this gross and admittedly less-than-fair generalization.

Comments