Supreme Court Justice-Elect Sonia Maria Sotomayor and I have an uncanny number of things in common, to-wit:
- We both know enough of a Dead Language to say things like, "to-wit."
- We both wanted to be Nancy Drew when we grew up!
- Neither of us, as it turned out, became Nancy Drew.
- Her father was a machinist/tool-and-die maker. So was mine.
- Her father died when she was nine years old. When I was nine, so did mine.
- She has worked in law offices. So have I. (That she was an attorney and I was a college secretary is irrelevant....)
- Her mother was a telephone operator. My grandmother was an operator.
- We were both raised Catholic and neither attends mass regularly. (So we both - I'm guessing - have Catholic Guilt).
- We both graduated cum laude. (Although one of us walked summa cum laude at Princeton and the other walked vanilla cum laude at the University of North Alabama).
- In high school she was on the Speech team (nerd). I was on the Debate team (nerd).
- One of us is a member of the American Philosophical Society, while the other is a member of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. (Cruelty Prevention is a Philosophy....)
- Neither of us has children.
- We are both "first born females" (relevant) and the eldest of two children.
- We both have ex-husbands (one of us has more than the other, but still....)
- We both have huge soft spots for underdogs
- She saved baseball. I watch baseball.
- We both love Puerto Rican food.
- Both our first names contain 5 letters and end in "a"........